Sunday 8 March 2009

Exclusive

In the first of a series of extracts. Former Vale consultant Steve Joesbury opens up in a frank and honest interview of what really went on behind the scenes during his time at Vale Park.

Lee Sinnott’s trusted advisor speaks out about events following their arrival in Burslem and the factors that let to Sinnott’s demise.

Steve’s revelations will shock fans as they finally learn the truth.

Steve’s first experience of what life at the club was going to be like came at a meeting on football matters. Steve takes up the story
“ At that meeting Peter Jackson didn’t want me there. At no time did Peter Jackson ever acknowledge me. All the time I was at Port Vale Football Club, he shut me out, he never did anything. So I didn’t exist as far as Peter Jackson was concerned.
Lee insisted the meeting wouldn’t go ahead unless I sat in on it. “

“After we had the meeting, which were supposed to be every two weeks, Jackson said any players that were signed, we hadn’t signed any at this stage, would first have to be sanctioned by Williams and Glover.
His words were “Any players that are signed have got to go through these guys first.”
Lee never said a word. I never said a word. It came completely out of the blue to me and Lee, Lee said jut go with it. We’ll go another one, after that we didn’t’ have another one because Lee then put him in his place.
He said to Jackson I’m the manager I’ll sign the players. But you could see straight away that Jackson wanted Williams and Glover to virtually over see our players.
So that was where we started, that was the beginning. “

“Lee was asked what Steve Joesbury would bring to the table. I said what I want to do is make sure that Port Vale know the West Midlands.
Jackson turned round and said at the meeting “It’s not our patch. That’s not our patch.”
Look and think about it Man United, Man City, Blackburn, Liverpool that’s the area. They don’t want to know Villa, Birmingham, and Wolves. Glover was a Villa player, but they weren’t interested. It wasn’t their patch, they’d never gone there.
My idea was to widen the area up, and then you get wider. “

“I came out and said to Lee what are we doing here, because we are knocking our head against a brick wall.
Another manager was interviewed at the same time as Lee and he wanted a clear out of everybody. The two managers interviewed wanted a clear out. The only one who would work with the existing staff was Lee.”

Keep your eyes peeled for Part Two

Interview copyright Lauren Watson 2009. No parts of this interview can be used or copied without owners permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment